You need cookies enabled

HEFCE closed at the end of March 2018. The information on this website is historical and is no longer maintained.

Many of HEFCE's functions will be continued by the Office for Students, the new regulator of higher education in England, and Research England, the new council within UK Research and Innovation.

The HEFCE domain - www.hefce.ac.uk - will continue to function until September 2018. At this point we will close the site entirely and all its information will only be available from the National Web Archive.

Cookies

You need cookies enabled

Nationality

In 2015-16, 29 per cent (approximately 49,000 people) of all academic staff were non-UK nationals. The number of non-UK nationals had grown by 25 per cent since 2012-13, compared with an increase of 4.6 per cent in academic staff from the UK. 

More than half the overseas staff (57 per cent) came from countries in the European Union, with Italy and Germany being the most common countries of origin. There were 4,700 academic staff from Italy and 4,600 from Germany.

The United States and China were the third and fourth most common countries for academic staff to come from. Chinese staff were particularly likely to be working in science, technology, engineering and maths (STEM) subjects, 69 per cent compared with 32 per cent of all academic staff.

The proportion of academic staff who were not from the UK varied across subjects. In modern foreign languages 41 per cent of staff were from the EU and a further 16 per cent were from outside the EU. This compares to a total of 23 per cent of international staff in arts, humanities and social sciences and 39 per cent in STEM subjects.

The proportion of professional and support staff who came from outside the UK was 9.9 per cent in 2015-16, although this proportion was considerably greater in London where non-UK staff made up 19 per cent of all professional and support staff.

Page last updated 27 June 2017