Map of young participation areas
This map shows how likely young people are to participate in HE according to where they live and how this varies across the UK.
About the map
- Zoom in to see higher resolution areas.
- For each area we have calculated the young participation rate.
- This rate is defined as the proportion of young people (15 year olds) who entered HE by the age of 19 during the 2009-10 to 2014-15 academic years.
- We have used these rates to assign wards into five groups: the POLAR4 'quintiles'.
- We have shaded each quintile with different colours. Areas in red are those in quintile 1 (and have the lowest participation rates) while areas in dark blue are those in quintile 5 (and have the highest participation rates).
- By clicking on an area the POLAR4 quintile to which the area belongs can be seen, along with the underlying young participation rate.