You need cookies enabled

HEFCE closed at the end of March 2018. The information on this website is historical and is no longer maintained.

Many of HEFCE's functions will be continued by the Office for Students, the new regulator of higher education in England, and Research England, the new council within UK Research and Innovation.

The HEFCE domain - - will continue to function until September 2018. At this point we will close the site entirely and all its information will only be available from the National Web Archive.


You need cookies enabled

How to make a DPA request

The Data Protection Act (DPA) 1998 gives you the right to know what information HEFCE holds about you.

If you want to ask whether we hold any personal information about you, please note the following:

  • You will need to supply proof of your identity. This should include both of the following:
    1. A photocopy of the identification pages of your current passport or of a current photo driving licence.
    2. The original of a current utilities (such as electricity) bill, or credit card or bank statement, which includes your name and current address. This can be returned to you if required.
  • It would also help us to narrow our search if you could tell us which team or directorate you believe might hold personal data on you. If you are not sure, please tell us the context in which you have had dealings with us, and when.
  • We will charge a fee of £10 for this service.

Requests for subject access should be made in writing. A request form is available for such purposes. A request may be received from the agent of an individual, in which case the agent must provide satisfactory evidence that they have the authority of the individual.

Where to send your request

You can make a DPA request by email to

You can make your request in writing.

See all contact details

Contact HEFCE's Data Protection Officer

The designated Data Protection Officer at HEFCE is Pippa Thompson. 

Please email if you would like to discuss how your personal data is processed by HEFCE and how you may exercise your rights under data protection legislation.

Further information

Further information on how to access information can be found on the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) website.

Page last updated 17 February 2017

Related content