- Annex A Summary of changes since publication of HEFCE 2007/05
- Annex B Comparison of HEIFES06 and the HEIFES06 re-creation
- Annex C Derived statistics likely to inform the 2008-09 widening participation allocations
- Annex D Unistats summaries
- Annex E Information for leads of HEFCE-recognised funding consortia
- Annex F Obtaining data from the HEFCE extranet
- Annex G Guidance for completing and submitting action and implementation plans
- Annex H Submitting amendments to 2006-07 ILR data
- Annex I Submitting overrides to primary derived fields
- Annex J List of abbreviations
- Appendix 1 HEIFES06 re-creation algorithms
- Appendix 2 Troubleshooting the differences between HEIFES06 and the HEIFES06 re-creation
- Appendix 3 Problems of fit with the HEIFES06 re-creation algorithms
- Appendix 4 Derived statistics likely to inform the 2008-09 widening participation allocations algorithms
- Appendix 5 Unistats summaries algorithms
- Appendix 6 Generating Unistats summaries
- Appendix 7 Example action and implementation plans
- Appendix 8 Index of derived fields
1. This document describes:
- How we will use 2006-07 Learning and Skills Council (LSC) learner data to monitor returns made to HEFCE.
- The responses required from colleges to these monitoring processes.
- How we intend to use 2006-07 student data to inform 2008-09 funding allocations.
2. This document, with its accompanying appendices, consists of the following sections:
- The comparison of Higher Education in Further Education: Students Survey 2006-07 (HEIFES06) with 2006-07 Individualised Learner Record F04 data (2006-07 ILR F04).
- How we intend to use ILR data to inform the 2008-09 widening participation (WP) allocations.
- How we intend to use the 2006-07 ILR to produce summaries of data for the Unistats web-site.
- Guidelines on returning action and implementation plans.
3. We are confident that this exercise continues to improve the data quality of returns to both LSC and HEFCE. It also increases our understanding of data quality issues that relate to these returns.
4. Generally we monitor funding returns made to HEFCE by re-creating these funding returns from ILR data. This exercise is conducted in two interrelated but distinct parts. The first is the process of reconciling, explaining and amending the data up to the point where colleges are in a position to sign off a re-creation as a reasonable reflection of the outturn position for the year. The second part, which occurs after an institution has signed off the re-creation, is the consideration of the final re-creation in terms of the funding adjustments to be made, and, where appropriate, an appeals process.
5. Our funding allocations are informed by the data provided by colleges. If we find, either through reconciliations with ILR data, or any data audit, that data do not reflect the outturn position for the year and that this has resulted in colleges receiving incorrect funding allocations (including WP), then we will adjust their funding accordingly. This is subject to the appeals process and the availability of our funds.
6. Any funding adjustments arising from the reconciliation of HEIFES06 with a re-creation of HEIFES06 from 2006-07 ILR F04 data (the HEIFES06 re-creation) are likely to affect the funding previously announced for 2006-07 and all subsequent years, including WP funding for 2007-08.
7. In many cases the funding adjustments arising from the reconciliation may be significant. Therefore it is important for colleges to ensure that sufficient time and resources are allocated to allow the exercise to be completed accurately and promptly. If colleges have not signed off their re-creations by the deadlines given below, then we will implement any reductions to 2008-09 grant that we expect to arise, pending completion of the reconciliation process. This is an interim measure to avoid grant adjustments accumulating to the point at which they become difficult for colleges to manage. The deadline is 1 September 2008 for all colleges (including leads of HEFCE-recognised consortia) selected to respond to the comparison of HEIFES06 and the HEIFES06 re-creation.
Annexes and appendices
8. The annexes below describe how we will use ILR data for this exercise. The technical appendices describe the algorithms we will use.
9. We will write to heads of colleges, copied to HEIFES contacts, by 21 February 2008 specifying whether a response is required to any part of this exercise.
10. Where a response is required, action and implementation plans must be returned by 7 May 2008.
11. The final deadline for HEFCE to receive amendments to ILR data and overrides to primary derived fields detailed in the action and implementation plans is 25 June 2008.
ILR data used to inform 2008-09 WP allocations
12. If colleges wish to correct ILR data that will be used to inform 2008-09 WP allocations they should submit amendments, as detailed in their action plans, by 2 May 2008 for incorporation in the July 2008-09 WP allocations, to Christine Daniel.
13. The following timetable details the critical deadlines for the exercise.
|21 February 2008||Issue of letter to all colleges requesting response to the exercise where appropriate|
|2 May 2008||Deadline for receipt of action and implementation plans for 2006-07 ILR amendments for incorporation in the July provisional 2008-09 WP allocations|
|7 May 2008||Deadline for receipt of final action and implementation plans produced by each college required to respond|
|23 May 2008||Deadline for sign-off for amendments to 2006-07 ILR data for incorporation in the provisional 2008-09 WP allocations|
|25 June 2008||Final deadline for sign-off for 2006-07 ILR data amendments and overrides to primary derived fields as detailed in action and implementation plan(s)|
|1 September 2008||For all colleges (including leads of HEFCE-recognised funding consortium) asked to respond to the comparison of HEIFES06 and the HEIFES06 re-creation: deadline for confirmation that the HEIFES06 re-creation reasonably reflects the outturn position for 2006-07 to avoid interim grant adjustments (see paragraphs 26 to 27 of the Introduction)|