Dear Vice-Chancellor or Principal
1. This letter is to inform you of funding allocations to higher education institutions (HEIs) under the fourth round of the Higher Education Innovation Fund (HEIF 4).
2. In January we published 'HEIF 4: Invitation and guidance for institutional strategies' (HEFCE 2008/02), which set out how funding under HEIF 4 would be made available to all HEIs for the three years 2008-09 to 2010-11. It invited all institutions to submit strategies as a condition of receiving their formula funding allocations. When HEFCE 2008/02 was published, we also published indicative modelling of allocations on our web-site, based on historical data from 2005-06.
3. We have now collected the relevant data for 2006-07, and calculated the final HEIF 4 allocations for each HEI for 2008-09 to 2010-11. These allocations are at Annex A. A more detailed breakdown, which includes the data from which each HEI's allocation has been calculated, is on our web-site under Business & community/HEIF 4.
4. We would remind institutions that, as stated in HEFCE 2008/02, release of an HEI's funding allocation is subject to submission to HEFCE of a satisfactory institutional strategy. Strategies should be submitted to HEFCE by 14 April 2008. Full guidance for preparation of strategies is provided in HEFCE 2008/02.
5. We will assess institutional strategies according to the process set out in HEFCE 2008/02. The timetable of next steps is shown in Table 1.
Table 1 Timetable for HEIF 4 funding process
|14 April 2008||Deadline for HEIs to submit strategies to HEFCE|
|14 April - May 2008||HEFCE assesses strategies and contacts HEIs with any requests for additional information. HEIs are informed on a rolling basis when strategies are approved and funds released.|
Final decisions taken by HEFCE on:
|July 2008||Final allocations for 2008-09 are published by HEFCE in HEIs' final grant tables. HEFCE publishes sector overview report on institutional strategies.|
|August 2008||HEIF 4 funding begins|
Director of Research, Innovation, and Skills