- Executive summary
- Annex A Summary of changes since publication of HEFCE 2008/08
- Annex B Comparison of HEIFES07 and the HEIFES07 re-creation
- Annex C Derived statistics that may inform the 2009-10 widening participation allocations
- Annex D Comparison of the aggregate return to monitor 2007-08 co-funded employer engagement student numbers (CFEE07) and the CFEE07 re-creation
- Annex E Information for leads of HEFCE-recognised funding consortia
- Annex F Obtaining data from the HEFCE extranet
- Annex G Guidance for completing and submitting action and implementation plans
- Annex H Submitting amendments to 2007-08 ILR data
- Annex I Submitting overrides to primary derived fields
- Annex J List of abbreviations
- Appendix 1 HEIFES07 re-creation algorithms
- Appendix 2 Troubleshooting the differences between HEIFES07 and the HEIFES07 re-creation
- Appendix 3 Problems of fit with the HEIFES07 re-creation algorithms
- Appendix 4 Derived statistics that may inform the 2009-10 widening participation (WP) allocation algorithms
- Appendix 5 Co-funded employer engagement 2007-08 (CFEE07) re-creation algorithms
- Appendix 6 Troubleshooting the differences between CFEE07 and the CFEE07 re-creation
- Appendix 7 Problems of fit with the CFEE07 re-creation algorithms
- Appendix 8 Example action and implementation plans
1. This document describes:
- How we will use 2007-08 Learning and Skills Council (LSC) learner data to monitor returns made to HEFCE.
- The responses required from colleges to these monitoring processes.
- How we intend to use 2007-08 student data to inform 2009-10 funding allocations.
2. This document, with its accompanying appendices, consists of the following sections:
- The comparison of Higher Education in Further Education: Students Survey 2007-08 (HEIFES07) with 2007-08 Individualised Learner Record F04 data (2007-08 ILR F04).
- How we may use ILR data to inform the 2009-10 widening participation (WP) allocations.
- The comparison of the aggregate return to monitor 2007-08 co-funded employer engagement student numbers (CFEE07) with 2007-08 ILR F04 student data.
- Guidelines on returning action and implementation plans.
3. We are confident that this exercise continues to improve the data quality of returns to both LSC and HEFCE. It also increases our understanding of data quality issues that relate to these returns.
4. We wrote to colleges on 6 April 2009 to announce the availability of the data outputs that accompany this exercise. We also informed colleges that we would write again, by 1 June 2009, with notification of whether they have been selected to respond to this exercise.
5. Generally we monitor funding returns made to HEFCE by re-creating these funding returns from ILR data. This exercise is conducted in two interrelated but distinct parts. The first is the process of reconciling, explaining and amending the data up to the point where colleges are in a position to sign off a re-creation as a reasonable reflection of the outturn position for the year. The second part, which occurs after an institution has signed off the re-creation, is the consideration of the final re-creation in terms of the funding adjustments to be made, and, where appropriate, an appeals process.
6. Our funding allocations are informed by the data provided by colleges. If we find, either through reconciliations with ILR data or any data audit, that data do not reflect the outturn position for the year and that this has resulted in colleges receiving incorrect funding allocations (including WP allocations), then we will adjust their funding accordingly. This is subject to the appeals process and the availability of our funds.
7. Any funding adjustments arising from the reconciliation of HEIFES07 with a re-creation of HEIFES07 from 2007-08 ILR F04 data (the HEIFES07 re-creation), or from the reconciliation of CFEE07 with a re-creation of CFEE07 from 2007-08 ILR F04 data (the CFEE07 re-creation), are likely to affect the funding previously announced for 2007-08 and all subsequent years, including WP funding for 2008-09.
8. In many cases the funding adjustments arising from the reconciliation may be significant. Therefore it is important for colleges to ensure that sufficient time and resources are allocated to allow the exercise to be completed accurately and promptly. In particular if selected colleges have not signed off their HEIFES07 re-creation by the deadline given below, then we will implement any reductions to 2009-10 grant that we expect to arise, pending completion of the reconciliation process. This is an interim measure to avoid grant adjustments accumulating to the point at which they become difficult for colleges to manage. The deadline is Friday 10 July 2009 for all colleges (including leads of HEFCE-recognised consortia) selected to respond to the comparison of HEIFES07 and the HEIFES07 re-creation.
Annexes and appendices
9. Annexes A to J describe how we will use ILR data for this exercise. The technical appendices describe the algorithms we will use.
HEIFES07 and CFEE07 monitoring
10. We will write to heads of colleges, copied to HEIFES contacts, before 1 June 2009 specifying whether a response is required to any part of this exercise.
11. Where a response is required, action and implementation plans must be returned by Friday 26 June 2009.
12. The final deadline for HEFCE to receive amendments to ILR data and overrides to primary derived fields detailed in the action and implementation plans is Friday 3 July 2009.
ILR data that may be used to inform 2009-10 WP allocations
13. If colleges wish to correct ILR data that may be used to inform 2009-10 WP allocations they should submit amendments, as detailed in their action plans, to Christine Daniel at HEFCE. An action plan should be submitted by Friday 15 May 2009 and amendments to be incorporated in the July provisional 2009-10 WP allocations must be signed off by Friday 29 May 2009.
14. The following timetable details the critical deadlines for the exercise.
|6 April 2009||Announce availability of the data outputs that accompany this exercise|
|15 May 2009||Deadline for submission of an action plan detailing amendments to 2007 08 ILR data for incorporation in the July provisional 2009 10 WP allocations|
|29 May 2009||Deadline for sign-off for amendments to 2007-08 ILR data for incorporation in the July provisional 2009-10 WP allocations|
|by 1 June 2009||Issue letter to all colleges requesting response to the exercise where appropriate|
|26 June 2009||Deadline for receipt of final action and implementation plans produced by each college required to respond|
|3 July 2009||Deadline for submitting amendments for each college required to respond|
|10 July 2009||Final deadline for sign-off for 2007-08 ILR data amendments and overrides to primary derived fields as detailed in action and implementation plan(s) for each college required to respond|
|10 July 2009||For all colleges (including leads of HEFCE-recognised funding consortia) asked to respond to the comparison of HEIFES07 and the HEIFES07 re-creation: deadline for confirmation that the HEIFES07 re-creation reasonably reflects the outturn position for 2007-08 to avoid interim grant adjustments (see paragraphs 27 to 29 of the Introduction)|