- Executive summary
- The HESES09 survey
- Institutional contacts
- Data collection and verification
- Outline timetable and process for the 2010-11 funding round
- Annex A: HESES09: Getting started
- Annex B: Summary of changes and clarifications since HESES08
- Annex C: The HESES09 student population
- Annex D: Recognised HE courses
- Annex E: Counting student activity
- Annex F: Full-time equivalence for part-time years of instance
- Annex G: Residential and funding status
- Annex H: Price groups
- Annex I: Mode of study
- Annex J: Level of study
- Annex K: Long years of study
- Annex L: Table descriptions
- Annex M: Description of columns in tables
- Annex N: Sample tables (see separate download)
- Annex O: List of abbreviations
- Annex P: Index
- Appendix 1: Links between HESA and HESES data (web only)
- Appendix 2: Validation of HESES data (web only)
- Appendix 3: Guidance on grant adjustment tables and related worksheets (web only)
- Appendix 4: Verification of HESES data (web only)
1. This document asks higher education institutions (HEIs) to complete the annual survey of students on recognised higher education (HE) courses.
2. The data will:
- Give an early indication, including for government planning purposes, of the number of HE students studying in the academic year 2009-10.
- Enable us to monitor the achievement of funding agreement targets for the academic year 2009-10.
- Together with data supplied to the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA), inform our allocation of teaching funds for the academic year 2010-11.
3. This document provides:
- Guidance notes for completing the Higher Education Students Early Statistics Survey 2009-10 (HESES09).
- Definitions used in the HESES09 survey.
- Examples of the survey tables, which will be available to download from the HEFCE extranet by November 2009.
- A summary of changes since HESES08 (Annex B).
4. Returns should be uploaded to the HEFCE extranet by noon on Thursday 10 December 2009. Workbooks will be available to institutions by November 2009.