Results of the 2014-15 HE Business and Community Interaction Survey (on the HESA website)
About the survey
The surveys collect financial and output data per academic year. Results are summarised in the annual survey reports which provide information on a range of activities, from the commercialisation of new knowledge, through the delivery of professional training, consultancy and services, to activities intended to have direct social benefits.
These data provide invaluable intelligence for knowledge exchange practitioners and policy makers. The reports also provide an annual in-depth commentary on the extent of and trends in knowledge exchange activity in the UK.
The process is overseen by the HE-BCI Stakeholders group representing the wide spectrum of interested and involved bodies.
Data reported under 'capacity' and 'infrastructure' are a snapshot of the position at a set date (for 2014-15, 31 July 2015). In general two-year comparisons are presented in cash terms while a series of three or more years is shown in real terms.
The data has been collected by the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA) as part of the Finance Statistics Return (FSR), the main source of financial information on the total activities of all UK HEIs. Returns should be submitted to HESA by 23 December each year. Survey data can now be obtained from HESA.
Data collected for the academic year 2014-15 shows a continuing increase in the exchange of knowledge between UK HEIs and the public, private and third sectors.
- HE-BCI survey 2013-14 (HEFCE 2015/13)
- HE-BCI survey 2012-13 (HEFCE 2014/10)
- HE-BCI survey 2011-12 (HEFCE 2013/11)
- HE-BCI survey 2010-11 (HEFCE 2012/18)
- HE-BCI survey 2009-10 (HEFCE 2011/25)
- HE-BCI survey 2008-09 (HEFCE 2010/14)
- HE-BCI survey 2007-08 (HEFCE 2009/23)
- HE-BCI survey 2006-07 - (HEFCE 2008/22)
- HE-BCI survey 2004-05 & 2005-06 - (HEFCE 2007/17)
- HE-BCI survey 2003-04 - (HEFCE 2006/25)
- HE-BCI survey 2002-03 - (HEFCE 2005/07)
- HE-BCI survey 2001-02 - (HEFCE 2004/07)
- HE-BCI survey 2000-01 - (HEFCE 2003/11)
- HE-BCI survey 1999-2000 - (HEFCE 01/68)
HEFCE has also liaised with other parties active in the field of third stream metrics and indicators. These include:
- AURIL/UNICO/NUBS (commercialisation survey)
- AUTM, ProTon Europe, ASTP, EC (international)
- Russell Group/SPRU (conceptual framework study)
- CI-HE/Salford University (benchmarking work)
- SFC (knowledge transfer metrics work)
- RCUK, especially AHRC (social, civic and cultural indicators).
For more information contact email@example.com.