Local Growth Academy
The Local Growth Academy is a unique partnership set up to help anchor institutions, including universities, to contribute to local and inclusive growth. Read on to find out how you can be involved.
What is the Local Growth Academy?
HEFCE is working with Universities UK, the Local Government Association, the NHS Confederation and other partners on a new development programme, the ‘Local Growth Academy’.
The Academy is covering a range of different modules linked to the local growth agenda, with sessions delivered by an expert range of public organisations and professional service firms.
The themes covered include devolution, financing, major project development, inclusive growth, estates, working with private partners and much more.
Why participate in the Local Growth Academy?
The Local Growth Academy will benefit participating institutions by:
- building the individual and collective capacities of institutions to act as more sophisticated clients when developing projects in support of local growth, especially when seeking to engage professional service firms in support contracts
- increasing the number and value of projects which attract new forms of investment finance strengthening and sustaining collaborative capacity across different institutions
- sharing innovation and best practice across the country.
Who should attend the modules?
Academy modules will be of interest for a range of leaders, especially those responsible for external stakeholder management, strategy, finance or infrastructure development.
How the Academy is run
HEFCE is working in partnership with the Local Government Association, Universities UK and the NHS Confederation to develop and deliver the Local Growth Academy.
A Steering Group comprising members of the partnership will manage the overall performance of the Academy and the organisation of the modules.
Registering for the Academy
Information about the modules can be found below:
Modules 1 and 2
The first two modules of the Local Growth Academy were held in spring and autumn 2017, in four cities across England.
The issues covered included:
- Understanding Place
- Understanding Devolution
- Major Project Development
- Localisation of Fiscal Policy
- Growth of Risk-based Finance
- Inclusive Growth
- Working with Private Partners
- Strategic Organisation Choices
Module 3 - Growth in Places?
The Academy ran a sold out session in London and Sheffield following the publication of the Government's Industrial Strategy White Paper in November 2017.
This module examined what the White Paper meant for the delivery of faster growth in all places across the UK, including the challenges policy-makers face in seeking to position Place at the heart of new programmes. Discussions focused on what form Local Industrial Strategies will take and the Shared Prosperity Fund.
For more information please contact Kevin Richardson, HEFCE Local Growth Consultant, tel 0779 5257383