Delegates at this conference were able to:
- discuss the policy context
- examine the findings and recommendations outlined in the 'Causes of differences in student outcomes' report published in July 2015
- hear the perspectives of students and colleagues from universities and colleges who are developing strategic responses and interventions.
HEFCE analysis undertaken over a number of years shows clear and persistent unexplained differences in degree attainment, progression to postgraduate study and progression to graduate employment for particular groups of students. The groups affected are:
- students from BME groups
- students from more disadvantaged backgrounds
- disabled students not receiving Disabled Students’ Allowance.
Presentation slides from the event
Christopher Millward, Director of Policy, HEFCE
Download the presentation by Christopher Millward as PDF (1,781 KB)
Dr Anna Mountford-Zimdars, Senior Lecturer in Higher Education, King’s College London
Download the presentation by Anna Mountford-Zimdars as PDF (1,662 KB)
Sorana Vieru, Vice-President (Higher Education) and Malia Bouattia, Black Students' Officer, National Union of Students
Download the presentation by Sorana Vieru as PDF (550 KB)
Professor Philip Plowden, Deputy Vice-Chancellor & Helen Hathaway, Project Manager of Student Experience, University of Derby
Download the presentation by Philip Plowden and Helen Hathaway as PDF (1,019 KB)
Dr Helen Barefoot, Deputy Director of the Learning and Teaching Innovation Centre, University of Hertfordshire
Download the presentation by Helen Barefoot as PDF (2,348 KB)
Nona McDuff, Head of Equality, Diversity and Inclusion, Kingston University
Download the presentation by Nona McDuff as PDF (1,654 KB)
Lesley Bryden, Head of HE Development and Enhancement, New College Durham
Download the presentation by Lesley Bryden as PDF (1,121 KB)
If you have any queries about the event contact the Student Opportunity conference team.