HE research online resources
These free resources allow you to browse current and completed R&E projects, or search for a particular research paper.
- Higher Education Empirical Research (HEER) database is a free public resource, comprising summaries of evidence-based research on a range of topics related to HE. These summaries are added to the database on a regular basis and provide an easy and convenient way for users to stay in touch with new HE research. The HEER used to be co-sponsored by HEFCE, and maintained by the Centre for Higher Education Research and Information of the Open University, but it is now owned and managed by QAA. In October 2012 QAA re-launched and refreshed the database with new entries.
- The British Education Index Education Line provides selective coverage, indexing only articles that have permanent educational interest. It currently includes more than 180,000 records for articles published in UK journals from 1976 onwards, and over 11,000 records for UK theses. As of 1 August 2013 the British Education Index (BEI) and British Education Thesaurus (BET) are owned by EBSCO Information Services.
- Google Scholar This search engine allows searching across many disciplines and sources. You may need to then locate the complete paper through a university library or on the web.
- The Society for Research into Higher Education is a UK-based international learned society concerned to advance understanding of higher education. The Society aims to be the leading international society in the field, as to both the support and the dissemination of research.
Working in partnership
We co-sponsor work with a wide range of organisations, some of which list their in progress projects and publish their final reports online.
- Department for Employment and Learning of Northern Ireland research DELNI
- Government HE research
- GuildHE research
- Higher Education Academy
- Higher Education Careers Services Unit research HECSU
- Higher Education Funding Council for Wales
- Higher Education Policy Institute HEPI
- Joint Information Systems Committee research JISC
- Leadership Foundation for Higher Education research LFHE
- Skills Funding Agency
- Research Councils UK RCUK
- Scottish Funding Council research SFC
- Universities UK research
Other HE research
- Sutton Trust research The Sutton Trust aims to recognise the needs and raise the aspirations of the academically able. It conducts research to support this aim, some of which relates to higher education.
- Database of Research on international higher education This searchable database is managed by the Australian Council for Educational Research (ACER) and contains details of more than 13,000 books, articles, conference papers and reports on various aspects of international education from publishers in Australia and abroad.
- UNESCO research UNESCO is the only United Nations body with a mandate in higher education. It publishes research reports on international HE issues.
- OECD seeks to develop and review policies to enhance the efficiency and the effectiveness of international education provisions. It publishes international-level reports and statistics on its web-site.