1. This document asks higher education institutions in the UK to provide data on the intake of medical and dental students in the 2012-13 and 2013-14 academic years.
2. This is an annual, UK-wide survey. HEFCE is conducting it on behalf of the Department of Health (DH), the Scottish Funding Council, the Higher Education Funding Council for Wales and the Department for Employment and Learning in Northern Ireland.
3. Data from this survey are used by HEFCE and DH as an early indicator of medical and dental intakes, to inform DH workforce planning and hence the joint consideration by DH and HEFCE of the need for changes to student intake targets. HEFCE will also be using the data to monitor the medical and dental intake targets and to inform funding allocations.
4. The census date for the 2013-14 intake data is 9 October 2013.
5. Higher education institutions with joint medical schools are expected to submit a single joint return (see Annex A). We also expect a joint return to be made by the Universities of Leeds and Bradford.
6. As part of the Government’s commitment to transparency, HEFCE intends to publish these data.
7. Please return the completed workbook via the HEFCE secure data collection site no later than noon on Friday 18 October 2013. Guidance on using this facility will be sent directly to the named medical and dental survey contacts at institutions.