1. This document asks HEFCE-funded higher education institutions to provide data on efficiencies realised in the 2016-17 academic year.
2. In order to report to Government on the efficiency of the HEFCE-funded higher education sector, data is being collected from institutions through an annual efficiency return. Efficiency return data at the sector level will be reported to the Department for Education and published by HEFCE.
3. The annual efficiency return must be approved by the accountable officer and presented to the institution’s governing body. Efficiencies data is often estimated and is not necessarily comprehensive, but institutions should provide information to the best of their knowledge.
4. Data is required on new efficiencies delivered in the 2016-17 academic year. Reportable efficiencies are those that release cash or resources, or result in productivity gains or capital receipts.
5. While HEFCE-funded institutions should consider reporting on value for money internally to their governing bodies, and we have published best practice guidance for this on our website, it is no longer a requirement to submit full value for money reports to HEFCE.
6. Completed templates must be returned via the HEFCE extranet no later than Wednesday 31 January 2018.