1. This document summarises our final allocations to institutions of recurrent funding for the academic year 2017-18 and outlines the reasons for changes since the provisional allocations published in June 2017.
2. We first announced provisional allocations of grant for the year in ‘Recurrent grants for 2017-18’ (HEFCE 2017/05). The current document shows, for each institution, the final allocations for 2017-18, and summarises the reasons for changes since the allocations announced in June 2017. Further changes for individual institutions may still arise following data audit and reconciliation.
3. The funding announced for the 2017-18 academic year assumes that the indicative funding made available to us by Government for the 2018-19 financial year will be confirmed. As usual, any future changes to the available grant could affect the funding we are able to distribute to institutions in the 2017-18 academic year, and this may include revising allocations after they have already been announced. Accordingly, institutions should plan their budgets prudently.
4. The overall budget for the 2017-18 academic year has increased to £3,602 million, of which £3,112 million is allocated as recurrent grant. This publication shows the distribution of £3,052 million of recurrent grants to institutions. The balance of £60 million is attributable to the national collaborative outreach programme.
5. The main reason for changes to institutions’ recurrent grant allocations since those announced in HEFCE 2017/05 is the distribution of an additional £11 million in funding for the Global Challenges Research Fund and £25 million as an increase to funding for knowledge exchange to support the Government’s Industrial Strategy. Other changes result from institutional mergers, transfers and data amendments, in some cases following data audit and reconciliation.
6. No action is required in response to this document.