HEFCE commissioned Curtis and Cartwright Consulting to conduct the summative evaluation of its programme of support for Strategically Important and Vulnerable Subjects (SIVS). The evaluation considered:
- the areas of impact, the extent to which HEFCE's interventions have made a lasting difference
- effectiveness, identifying which interventions have been the most effective and whether the outcomes would have occurred without these interventions
- value for money, whether HEFCE could have achieved greater value for money by adopting a different approach.
The evaluation concludes that interventions undertaken through the SIVS programme have:
- been successful in avoiding heavy-handed market interference
- enabled the programme to show leadership while remaining responsive to developments and initiatives by the sector
- sustained provision
and that the overall SIVS programme has provided value for money. The evaluation findings will influence HEFCE's future policy and approach to SIVS.