September 2009 | ref: Circular letter 21/2009
Dear Vice-Chancellor or Principal
1. A UK-wide consultation on the new arrangements for the assessment and funding of research – the Research Excellence Framework (REF) – has been published today (Wednesday 23 September). It is available on the HEFCE web-site as 'Research Excellence Framework: Second consultation on the assessment and funding of research' (HEFCE 2009/38).
2. Building on extensive informal discussions and a substantive pilot exercise, it sets out proposals for all key aspects of the REF. On behalf of the four UK higher education funding bodies, I invite you to contribute to this consultation.
3. We are holding a series of consultation events across the UK during October and November. The events are open to representatives from UK higher education institutions (HEIs) and other key stakeholders. Up to two representatives per HEI may attend the events. For further information and to reserve a place, please use our online booking system. Bookings should be made by Friday 16 October 2009.
4. Hard copies of the consultation document will be sent to heads of institutions to arrive in early October. Responses should be made by Wednesday 16 December 2009.
5. I hope that your HEI will respond to this consultation and I look forward to discussing the proposals with you at one of the events.
Director – Research, Innovation and Skills
|Enquiries should be directed to:||Kate Badger, tel 0117 931 7445, e-mail email@example.com|
Page last updated 12 March 2012