Dear Vice-Chancellor or Principal
1. This letter provides information to institutions on the next steps in the 2010 National Student Survey (NSS) process, including how and when to access their 2010 NSS results via both the Ipsos MORI and Unistats web-sites. This year sees a change in the process whereby institutions can preview their own results on the Ipsos MORI NSS results site in July as well as on the Unistats web-site in August.
2. I would like to take this opportunity to thank you all for your hard work on the 2010 NSS. Ipsos MORI conducted over a quarter of a million interviews from a sample of over 400,000 students. This represents an overall response rate for NSS 2010 in excess of 63 per cent, the highest number of students to ever take part in the survey.
Publication of the 2010 results: Planned schedule of activity
3. Institutions will be able to preview their results on the Ipsos MORI NSS results site from 23 July (details of how to access them will be sent to HEFCE’s institutional contacts closer to the time). This will be followed on 6 August by the launch of Phase 1 of the Ipsos MORI NSS results site which presents NSS data to institutions at a high level of detail and with access to students’ comments (www.ipsos-mori.com/nss/results), where all pre-calculated data tables will be available at institution, subject and sector level. Sector-wide comparisons will also be available on that site during Phase 1.
4. On 12 and 13 August institutions will be able to preview their own results on the Unistats web-site. On 16 and 17 August there will be a further preview period where institutions have access to all institutions’ data. On 18 August the Unistats web-site will be available for public access.
5. Also on 18 August we intend to publish a HEFCE press release of all sector summary data.
6. On 30 August Ipsos MORI will launch Phase 2 (custom analysis) of the results site. The custom analysis function gives each institution the freedom to analyse tailored results for specific cohorts of students.
7. If you have any queries about anything in this letter contact Katie Germer on 0117 931 7153 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sir Alan Langlands