Dear Vice-Chancellor or Principal
1. The Leadership, Governance and Management (LGM) Fund will close on 31 July 2010. This letter briefly describes what it has achieved and gives details of an upcoming evaluation. No action is required in response.
2. We have invested in enhancing leadership, governance and management in the higher education (HE) sector through the LGM Fund since 2004. The fund was refreshed in 2007, when a total of £10 million was made available over a three-year period.
3. The LGM Fund has enabled us to provide active financial support to broad-based partnerships within the HE sector, which have helped the sector find its own solutions to the challenges it has faced.
4. It has supported a wide range of projects that have developed good practice in leadership, governance and management processes in the sector. We have also used it to support the development of good practice in transformational change and in sustainable development through two initiatives, Leading Transformational Change and Leading Sustainable Development in HE. Details of projects supported by the LGM Fund are on our web-site.
5. As previously announced the fund will close on 31 July 2010 and the final deadline for receipt of applications is 30 June 2010.
6. We have appointed PA Consulting Group to undertake an evaluation of the impact of the fund and its administration. The evaluation is expected to report in August 2010. If you wish to contribute to the evaluation, please contact the lead consultant, Matthew Fielden: email@example.com.
7. At this important stage in the development of the sector the role of leadership, governance and management is critical to address the challenges that face HE. We are actively considering how we might continue to support it and we will use the recommendations of the evaluation in developing our approach.
Sir Alan Langlands