1. This document asks further education colleges (FECs) to complete the annual survey of students on recognised higher education (HE) courses.
2. The data will:
- Enable us to monitor the achievement of funding agreement targets for the academic year 2011-12.
- Together with the individualised learner record (ILR) supplied to the Data Service, inform our initial allocation of teaching funds for the academic year 2012-13.
- Give an early indication, including for government planning purposes, of the number of HE students studying in the academic year 2011-12.
3. This document provides:
- An introduction to the Higher Education in Further Education: Students Survey 2011-12 (HEIFES11) and how we use it to inform our funding.
- Guidance notes for completing the HEIFES11 survey.
- Definitions used in the HEIFES11 survey.
- Examples of the survey tables, which will be available to download from the HEFCE extranet in November 2011.
- A summary of changes since HEIFES10 (Annex B), including those previously announced in 'Advance notification of changes to HESES and HEIFES for 2011-12' (Circular letter 17/2011).
4. HEIFES11 should be completed by all FECs receiving HEFCE recurrent funds for teaching. Returns must be uploaded to the HEFCE extranet by noon on Wednesday 16 November 2011. Workbooks will be available to colleges in November 2011.
Outline timetable for HEIFES11 return and 2012-13 funding round
5. The provisional timetable is summarised below.
|22 December 2011||
|13 January 2012||
|19 March 2012 (provisional)||
|22 March 2012 (provisional)||
|To be confirmed||
|Late July 2012||