1. This document asks higher education institutions (HEIs) to complete the annual survey of students on recognised higher education (HE) courses.
2. The data will:
- Enable us to monitor the achievement of funding agreement targets for the academic year 2011-12.
- Together with data supplied to the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA), inform our initial allocation of teaching funds for the academic year 2012-13.
- Give an early indication, including for government planning purposes, of the number of HE students studying in the academic year 2011-12.
3. This document provides:
- An introduction to the Higher Education Students Early Statistics Survey 2011-12 (HESES11) and how we use it to inform our funding.
- Guidance notes for completing the HESES11 survey.
- Definitions used in the HESES11 survey.
- Examples of the survey tables, which will be available to download from the HEFCE extranet in November 2011.
- A summary of changes since HESES10 (Annex B) including those previously announced in 'Advance notification of changes to HESES and HEIFES for 2011-12' (Circular letter 17/2011).
4. HESES11 should be completed by all HEIs receiving HEFCE recurrent funds for teaching. Returns must be uploaded to the HEFCE extranet by noon on Friday 9 December 2011. Workbooks will be available to institutions in November 2011.