Dear Vice-Chancellor or Principal
1. This letter is to inform you of the outcome of the process to develop a shared strategy for relationship management between HEFCE and institutional governing bodies. We advised you of the consultation process associated with the development of this shared strategy in 'Consultation on developing a shared strategy for relationship management between HEFCE and institutional governing bodies' (HEFCE Electronic publication 09/2010) in December 2010.
2. The development of the strategy flowed from an independent review of HEFCE’s effectiveness ('Independent Review Group review of the effectiveness and efficiency of HEFCE: final report', HEFCE 2010/07), in which Recommendation 6 was: 'HEFCE should develop and implement a shared strategy for relationship management between the Council and HEI governing bodies.'
3. In EP 09/2010 chairs of higher education institution (HEI) governing bodies were invited to comment on a draft set of principles and statement outlining the relationship between institutional governing bodies and HEFCE, as it stood at the end of 2010.
4. These principles and the statement were amended in the light of chairs' feedback and they now constitute the shared relationship management strategy (see Annex A), which was approved by HEFCE's Board on 3 March 2011.
5. We are committed to reviewing the statement to ensure that it remains fit for purpose in changing circumstances and will do so no more than 12 months after publication.
6. If you have any comments or advice, please contact Kath Thompson (tel 0117 931 7393, e-mail email@example.com).
Sir Alan Langlands