1. This document sets out the arrangements for an additional allocation of research capital funding for higher education institutions (HEIs) for 2012 to 2015. It invites HEIs to submit expressions of interest on a competitive basis to apply for the capital grants.
2. The March 2012 Budget statement announced a new £100 million fund to support investment in higher education research facilities.
3. The UK Research Partnership Investment Fund is available to all UK HEIs. The objectives for the fund are:
- Enhance the research facilities of HEIs undertaking world-leading research.
- Encourage strategic partnerships between HEIs and other organisations active in research.
- Stimulate additional investment in HE research.
- Strengthen the contribution of the research base to economic growth.
4. The fund will support large-scale projects that can leverage substantial co-investment from private sources building on the research excellence in the higher education sector.
5. HEIs are invited to complete expressions of interest using the template at Annex A and e-mail it to firstname.lastname@example.org by noon on Friday 8 June 2012.