1. This document sets out the arrangements for an additional allocation of research capital funding for higher education institutions (HEIs) for 2013 to 2015. It invites HEIs that have a significant track record of research excellence to submit bids on a competitive basis to apply for the capital grants.
2. The Government has provided £300 million to support investment in higher education (HE) research facilities. £220 million has already been allocated, and this call for bids will enable us to allocate the remaining £80 million.
3. The UK Research Partnership Investment Fund is available to all UK HEIs. The objectives of the fund are to:
- Enhance the research facilities of HEIs undertaking world-leading research.
- Encourage strategic partnerships between HEIs and other organisations active in research.
- Stimulate additional investment in HE research.
- Strengthen the contribution of the research base to economic growth.
4. The fund will support large-scale projects that can attract substantial co-investment from private sources, building on the research excellence in the HE sector.
5. The panel is likely to favour bids which provide clarity on:
- How the proposed facilities will strengthen future research, including developing research collaborations, and collaborations with users of research to support innovation and growth.
- The benefit to the private partners from the project.
- Co-investment in the first five years (as well as any over a longer period of time).
- Public benefits for research and broader activities arising from the development.
6. HEIs are invited to submit bids using the templates at Annexes A, B and C and e‑mail them to email@example.com by noon on Monday 11 February 2013.