1. This document sets out allocations for the second Capital Investment Fund (CIF2). It includes capital allocations for higher education institutions (HEIs) for learning and teaching and additional capital allocations for research for the financial year 2013-14.
2. The allocations to HEIs under CIF2 are determined by formulae.
3. Using the formulae, we have allocated £33 million to the second Learning and Teaching Capital Investment Fund (TCIF2) for the financial year 2013-14. These allocations are at Annex A and will be paid automatically in three equal instalments in August and November 2013 and February 2014.
4. In March 2011 we published ‘Capital Investment Fund 2: Capital allocations for learning and teaching 2012-13; capital allocations for research 2011-12 to 2014-15’ (HEFCE 2011/08) in which we announced the second Research Capital Investment Fund (RCIF2).
5. The HEFCE Board reviewed its non-recurrent funding decisions on 31 January 2013, and agreed to increase RCIF2 for the financial year 2013-14 by £3 million. The additional RCIF2 allocations are at Annex B. These funds will be paid automatically in three equal instalments in August and November 2013 and February 2014.
6. These allocations can be used to invest in HEIs’ supporting infrastructure.
7. No action is required.