1. This document sets out proposals for the implementation of an open access requirement in the post-2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF).
2. Following an informal consultation on open access in the post-2014 REF, in which the four UK higher education funding bodies sought advice on an initial view, we have developed full proposals for the implementation of an open access requirement in the post-2014 REF. These proposals have been informed by the advice we received through the informal consultation process.
3. This consultation seeks comments on the proposed criteria for open access in the post-2014 REF, the definition of the research outputs to which the criteria will apply, and the proposed approaches to allowing exceptions from the open access requirement.
4. We invite responses from higher education institutions and other groups, organisations and individuals with an interest in scholarly publishing and research.
5. Responses to this consultation should be made online by 1700 on 30 October 2013,using the electronic response form which can be accessed alongside this document (see paragraph 14).