1. This document is the second publication giving the widening participation and non-continuation indicators, and the first publication of employment indicators, for higher education (HE) provision registered at HEFCE-funded further education colleges (FECs) in England.
2. We anticipate this information will be relevant to FECs and to those interested in the participation, retention and employment of HE students at FECs, and more widely across the higher education sector.
3. The indicators in this report are derived from data submitted to the Data Service’s Individualised Learner Record, the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA) student record for the academic years 2009-10 and 2010‑11 and the Destination of Leavers from Higher Education survey for the academic year 2010‑11.
4. Four tables, two of them drawing on successive iterations of the Participation of Local Areas (POLAR) classification, accompany this document as separate files.
Table 1 – POLAR2 shows the profile of students from low-participation neighbourhoods, for young full-time HE entrants registered at FECs in 2010-11, created using POLAR2.
Table 1 – POLAR3 shows the profile of students from low-participation neighbourhoods, for young full-time HE entrants registered at FECs in 2010-11, created using POLAR3.
Table 2 shows the breakdown of non-continuation following year of entry, for full-time entrants registered at FECs in 2009-10.
Table E1 shows the proportions who progressed to work or further study, for full-time leavers who obtained an HE qualification in 2010-11.
5. Each individual FEC’s data are compared with a sector-adjusted average. The methods used to calculate the indicators and sector-adjusted averages are intended to be as consistent as possible with the UK HE Performance Indicators for higher education institutions published by HESA.
6. This document is for information only.