1. This document asks alternative providers of higher education to complete a survey of students on full-time courses that have been designated for student support purposes. The survey covers student numbers in the academic years 2012-13 and 2013‑14.
2. The survey should be completed by all alternative providers subject to the student number control (SNC). These are:
- all alternative providers that had more than 50 full-time students claiming student support in 2012-13
- all other alternative providers that
- have opted to complete the HEAPES13 survey, and therefore receive a student number control allocation
- are linked to another alternative provider with designated full-time courses.
3. The data will:
- enable us to set the SNC allocations for 2014-15
- allow us to understand the number of students in the exempt population in 2012-13
- give an early indication, for purposes including government planning, of the number of students starting study on designated full-time courses in the academic year 2013-14.
4. This document provides:
- In Section 1, an introduction to the Higher Education in Alternative Providers Early Statistics (HEAPES) survey.
- In Section 2, the definitions used in the HEAPES survey.
- In Section 3, guidance on completing and submitting the HEAPES survey and an explanation of how the survey is finalised.
- In the Annexes, examples of the survey tables and a list of abbreviations.
5. The HEAPES13 survey should be completed by all alternative providers subject to the SNC. Returns must be uploaded to the HEFCE extranet by noon on 1 November 2013. Workbooks will be available to providers in early October 2013.
Note on terminology
6. All references to years are to academic years (1 August to 31 July) unless otherwise specified.