1. This document asks higher education institutions to complete the annual survey of students on recognised higher education (HE) courses.
2. The data will:
- Enable us to review teaching funding and monitor recruitment against the student number control for the academic year 2013-14.
- Together with data supplied to the Higher Education Statistics Agency, inform our initial allocation of teaching funds for the academic year 2014‑15.
- Give an early indication, including for government planning purposes, of the number of HE students studying in the academic year 2013-14.
3. This document provides:
- An introduction to the Higher Education Students Early Statistics Survey 2013-14 (HESES13) and how we use it to inform our funding and student number control allocations and monitoring.
- Guidance notes for completing the HESES13 survey.
- Definitions used in the HESES13 survey.
- Examples of the survey tables. The actual tables for completion will be available to download from the HEFCE extranet in November 2013.
- A summary of changes since HESES12 (Annex B).
4. HESES13 should be completed by all HE institutions receiving HEFCE recurrent funds for teaching. Returns must be uploaded to the HEFCE extranet by noon on Tuesday 10 December 2013. Workbooks will be available to institutions in November 2013.
5. A provisional timetable for the HESES13 return and 2014-15 funding round is at Annex A.