1. This document asks further education colleges to complete the annual survey of students on recognised higher education (HE) courses.
2. The data will:
- Enable us to review teaching funding and monitor recruitment against the student number control (SNC) for the academic year 2013-14.
- Together with the individualised learner record supplied to the Data Service, inform our initial allocation of teaching funds for the academic year 2014‑15.
- Give an early indication, including for government planning purposes, of the number of HE students studying in the academic year 2013-14.
3. This document provides:
- An introduction to the Higher Education in Further Education: Students Survey 2013-14 (HEIFES13) and how we use it to inform our funding, SNC allocations and monitoring.
- Guidance notes for completing the HEIFES13 survey.
- Definitions used in the HEIFES13 survey.
- Examples of the survey tables, which will be available to download from the HEFCE extranet in November 2013.
- A summary of changes since HEIFES12 (Annex B).
4. HEIFES13 should be completed by all further education colleges receiving HEFCE recurrent funds for teaching. Returns must be uploaded to the HEFCE extranet by noon on Thursday 14 November 2013. Workbooks will be available to colleges in November 2013.
5. A provisional timetable for the HEIFES13 return and 2014-15 funding round is summarised in Annex A.