1. This document sets out the arrangements for a third round of the UK Research Partnership Investment Fund for 2015 to 2016. It invites higher education institutions (HEIs) that have a significant track record of research excellence to submit expressions of interest on a competitive basis to apply for the capital grants.
2. The June 2013 Spending Round statement announced an extension of the UK Research Partnership Investment Fund to 2016-17, making available at least £100 million each year of match-funding to leverage private investment. This invitation relates to the funding of at least £100 million in 2015-16. A further call for bids relating to funding for 2016-2017 will follow.
3. The UK Research Partnership Investment Fund is available to all UK HEIs. The objectives of the fund are to:
- enhance the research facilities of HEIs undertaking world-leading research
- encourage strategic partnerships between HEIs and other organisations active in research
- stimulate additional investment in higher education research
- strengthen the contribution of the research base to economic growth.
4. The fund will support large-scale projects that can attract substantial co-investment from private sources, building on the research excellence in the higher education sector.
5. The panel is likely to favour bids which provide clarity on the following.
- How the proposed facilities will strengthen future research, including developing research collaborations and collaborations with users of research to support innovation and growth.
- The benefit to the private partners from the project.
- Co-investment in the first five years (as well as any over a longer period of time).
- The public benefits of research and broader activities arising from the development.
6. The panel will take the balance of sectors and disciplines into consideration, recognising the spread of successful bids in the previous two rounds of the UK Research Partnership Investment Fund. Exceptionally, projects that do not meet the required levels of investment may be considered by the panel if it can be shown that they meet the objectives of the fund and would extend the reach of the fund beyond the balance of sectors and disciplines achieved so far.
7. HEIs are invited to complete expressions of interest using the template at Annex A and e-mail it to email@example.com by noon on Friday 24 January 2014.