Dear Vice-Chancellor or Principal
1. Students at HEFCE-funded institutions can now apply for funding from the Students’ Green Fund. The deadline for applications is Wednesday 26 June 2013.
2. You may be aware from recent press coverage that we recently awarded the National Union of Students (NUS) £5 million from our Catalyst Fund to support a Students’ Green Fund. The proposal was supported by Universities UK, GuildHE, Committee of University Chairs and the Environmental Association of Universities and Colleges.
3. The Students’ Green Fund aims to support student-led environmental sustainability projects. The projects will be run through students’ unions in partnership with their universities and colleges. Successful applications will be chosen in a competitive bidding round, managed by the NUS, and will run in the academic years 2013 to 2015.
4. The invitation to bid is now available on the NUS web-site. Students at all HEFCE-funded institutions are eligible to apply, regardless of whether their students’ union is affiliated to the NUS.
5. Research shows that environmental sustainability is an important issue for today’s students, and we anticipate that the fund will harness their commitment and enthusiasm, bringing important benefits for universities and colleges, as well as enhancing the employability of students who take part. We envisage that the Students’ Green Fund will complement institutional funding available from the Revolving Green Fund.
6. I hope that students at your institution will work on an application to the fund.
Sir Alan Langlands