ILR funding and monitoring data (FAMD) 2011-12: Funding data reconciliation exercise
1. This circular letter notifies colleges of the release of the Individualised Learner Record (ILR) funding and monitoring data 2011-12 funding data reconciliation exercise. This exercise compares the data returned to the Data Service with Higher Education in Further Education Students survey (HEIFES) data submitted to HEFCE. A response may be required (see paragraph 5).
2. For those colleges we initially require to make a formal response to the exercise, we will write to heads of college and HEIFES contacts separately to this circular letter. The letter will be sent by e-mail on 13 May 2013, and followed by a telephone call to HEIFES contacts to ensure its receipt. For the majority of colleges we will not be able to determine selection for the exercise until a later point in the year because of the ongoing Completion Status Survey (CSS) (see paragraph 7 for further details). We expect to be able to write to these colleges in summer 2013. The process of informing colleges of their selection at this stage will reflect that for those identified and advised in May.
3. We encourage colleges to review the reconciliation outputs that accompany this exercise (see paragraph 11 for further information) as this is an essential element of all colleges’ data quality processes. It will help colleges to:
- identify discrepancies between forecasts in 2011-12 HEIFES data (HEIFES11) and the outturn position for 2011-12
- identify errors in HEIFES11.
4. Our funding allocations (including the setting and monitoring of student number controls) are informed by the data provided by colleges. If we find, either through reconciliations with Data Service or other organisations’ data, or during the course of any data audit, that erroneous data have resulted in colleges receiving incorrect funding allocations, we will adjust their funding accordingly (subject to any appeals process that may apply and the availability of our funds).
5. Therefore, where discrepancies occur between HEIFES11 and the outturn position for 2011-12 as recorded in ILR, and these discrepancies exceed any of the selection thresholds listed in Annex A, we will request a formal response to this exercise. The response, in the form of an action plan, should explain all material differences between the HEIFES11 and the re-creation from ILR student data of HEIFES11 (the HEIFES11 re-creation).
6. Any funding adjustments arising from the reconciliations of HEIFES11 with the HEIFES11 re-creation are likely to affect the funding previously announced for 2011-12 and all subsequent years.
Relationship with the Completion Status Survey (CSS)
7. As described in ‘ILR funding and monitoring data (FAMD) 2011-12: Funding summaries and request for updates to completion status data’ (HEFCE Circular letter 06/2013), we are asking colleges to provide updates to completion status information via the CSS. The deadline for the CSS return is later this summer, so any updates to completion status data may result in the selection for this exercise of colleges not initially meeting the selection criteria. If, upon receipt and incorporation of data from CSS returns into the HEIFES11 re‑creations, we establish that any college meets any of the selection criteria in Annex A, we will ask the college to formally make a response to this exercise. We do not believe that any college will be initially selected for this exercise solely because of the non‑inclusion of updated completion status data.
ILR funding and monitoring data 2011-12 exercise outputs
8. The following output accompanies the 2011-12 exercise:
- HEIFES11 re-creation.
9. The algorithms used to generate the HEIFES11 re-creation are the same as those used for ‘Individualised Learner Record funding and monitoring data: Web facility’ (HEFCE Circular letter 26/2012), except for those detailed in Annex A of HEFCE Circular letter 06/2013.
10. The ‘Funding data reconciliations’ area on the HEFCE web-site provides further detail regarding the reconciliation exercise.
11. The set of tables that accompany this exercise can be downloaded from the ‘ILR FAMD 2011-12 (incl. funding summaries and data reconciliation outputs)’ location on the new HEFCE Extranet. The relevant group key was posted to heads of colleges and HEIFES contacts on 28 March 2013 (this accompanied the release of HEFCE Circular Letter 06/2013).
12. Further guidance about the reconciliation outputs is available in the funding and monitoring area of our web-site. Some areas that may be of interest are:
- Extranet locations, deadlines and documentation, including technical information (such as algorithms and problems of fit), can be found in the ‘2011-12 funding and monitoring data overview’.
- Information on how to obtain data from the HEFCE extranet can be found in the ‘How to access outputs’ guide.
- Guidance on how to submit an action plan in response to this exercise can be found in the ‘HEIFES re-creation action plan’ guide.
13. Colleges are reminded that the individualised data made available through this exercise are covered by the Data Protection Act. These data are only accessible to someone holding the HEFCE extranet key which we will provide to heads of college and HEIFES contacts for colleges. Colleges should ensure that the extranet key is not passed to anyone without a legitimate reason to access the individualised data.
14. For further information or guidance please contact Alastair Kendall (tel. 0117 931 7184, e‑mail firstname.lastname@example.org).
Sir Alan Langlands