1. This document asks higher education institutions in the UK to provide data on the intake of medical and dental students in the 2013-14 and 2014-15 academic years.
2. This is an annual, UK-wide survey. HEFCE is conducting it on behalf of the Department of Health (DH), the Scottish Funding Council, the Higher Education Funding Council for Wales and the Department for Employment and Learning in Northern Ireland.
3. Data from this survey are used by HEFCE and DH as an early indicator of medical and dental intakes, to inform DH workforce planning and hence the joint consideration by DH and HEFCE of the need for changes to student intake targets. HEFCE will also be using the data to monitor the medical and dental intake targets and to inform funding allocations.
4. The census date for the 2014-15 intake data is 9 October 2014.
5. Higher education institutions with joint medical schools (see Annex A) are expected to submit a single joint return. We also expect a joint return to be made by the Universities of Leeds and Bradford.
6. As part of the Government’s commitment to transparency, HEFCE intends to publish data on confirmed 2013-14 intakes on our web-site. See www.hefce.ac.uk/whatwedo/crosscutting/healthcare/mds/ for the equivalent 2012-13 data.
7. Completed workbooks must be returned via the HEFCE secure data collection site no later than noon on Monday 20 October 2014.