1. This document asks higher education institutions to complete the annual survey of students on recognised higher education courses.
2. The data will:
- enable us to review teaching funding and monitor recruitment against the student number control for the academic year 2014-15
- together with data supplied to the Higher Education Statistics Agency, inform our allocation of teaching funds for the academic year 2015-16
- give an early indication, for purposes including government planning, of the number of higher education students studying in the academic year 2014-15.
3. This document provides the following.
- An introduction to the Higher Education Students Early Statistics survey 2014-15 (HESES14) and how we use it to inform our funding allocations and monitor recruitment against the student number control.
- Guidance notes for completing the HESES14 survey.
- Definitions used in the HESES14 survey.
- Examples of the survey tables. The actual tables for completion will be available to download from the HEFCE extranet in November 2014.
- A summary of changes since HESES13 (Annex B).
4. HESES14 should be completed by all higher education institutions receiving HEFCE recurrent funds for teaching. Returns must be uploaded to the HEFCE extranet by noon on Tuesday 9 December 2014. Workbooks will be available to institutions in November 2014.
5. A provisional timetable for the HESES14 return and 2015-16 funding round is given in Annex A.