Capital allocations for learning and teaching 2014-15
1. This letter sets out the allocations to higher education institutions (HEIs) for Learning and Teaching Capital Investment Funding (TCIF2) for the financial year 2014-15.
2. In February 2014 the Board agreed that £121.26 million would be distributed through TCIF2 to HEIs in financial year 2014-15. These allocations, listed at Annex A, will be automatically paid in three instalments: in August 2014, November 2014 and February 2015.
3. As has been the case in previous years, for those institutions that have met the requirements of the second capital investment framework (CIF2) we will bring some of these funds forward into March 2014. A further announcement will be made in due course.
4. These funds are available to support learning and teaching.
5. Further information regarding the aims of TCIF2 can be found in the March 2011 publication ‘Capital Investment Fund 2: Capital allocations for learning and teaching 2012-13; Capital allocations for research 2011-12 to 2014-15’ (HEFCE 2011/08).
6. Where institutions have not met the requirements of CIF2 we have allocated only 60 per cent of their original formula-based allocation.
How the allocations were calculated
7. The formulae we have used to allocate funding to HEIs are set out below:
- final 2011-12 mainstream standard teaching resource
- 2011-12 widening participation allocations
- 2011-12 improving retention allocations
- 2011-12 research-informed teaching allocations
- 2011-12 institutional learning and teaching strategies
- 2011-12 Teaching Agency resource for initial teacher training
- 2011-12 clinical consultants’ pay allocations
- 2011-12 senior academic GPs’ pay allocations
- 2011-12 NHS pensions scheme compensation
- 2011-12 targeted allocations, for part-time undergraduates, accelerated/intensive provision, institution-specific, maintaining capacity in strategically important and vulnerable subjects (SIVS) following the equivalent or lower qualification (ELQ) policy, additional funding for very high cost and vulnerable science subjects
- the science and engineering laboratories allocation is pro rata to the final 2011-12 mainstream standard teaching resource, for provision in price group B only.
Note that these resource calculations for HEIs take into account the impact of data audit or reconciliations since 2011-12.
8. Annex A includes estimates of indirectly funded student full-time equivalents (FTE) that are included within HEIs’ TCIF2 allocations.
9. As in previous years, where the operation of these formulae would result in an allocation of less than £10,000 we have allocated no funding.
10. No action is required in response to this letter.
Professor Madeleine Atkins