1. This document asks higher education institutions to complete the annual survey of students on recognised higher education courses.
2. The data will:
- give an early indication, for purposes including government planning, of the number of higher education students studying in the academic year 2015‑16
- together with data supplied to the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA), inform our allocation of teaching funds for the academic year 2016‑17.
3. This document provides the following:
- An introduction to the Higher Education Students Early Statistics Survey 2015‑16 (HESES15) and how we use it to inform our funding allocations.
- Guidance notes for completing the HESES15 survey (Section 1).
- Definitions used in the HESES15 survey (Section 2).
- Examples of the survey tables (Section 3). The actual tables for completion will be available to download from the HEFCE extranet in November 2015.
- A summary of changes since HESES14 (paragraph 26-49 of the main document).
4. Information on how HESES survey data is used to allocate funding can be found in ‘Guide to funding 2015‑16: How HEFCE allocates its funds’ (HEFCE 2015/04).
5. HESES15 should be completed by all higher education institutions receiving HEFCE recurrent funds for teaching. Returns must be uploaded to the HEFCE extranet by noon on Thursday 10 December 2015. Workbooks will be available to institutions in November 2015.
6. A provisional timetable for the HESES15 return and 2016-17 funding round is given in paragraph 23.
The guidance document is in three main sections.
Section 1 is instructions for completing the survey workbook, including screen shots of the tables. This section also describes data verification and data assurance processes.
Section 2 contains the funding rules and definitions that you need to refer to in order to complete the survey. These are in Annexes A to L. (Please note that annex lettering has changed from previous years.)
Section 3 contains sample HESES15 tables.
NB: The following changes have been made to correct errors since this document was originally published:
- In Annex C Figure C3, erroneous references to 'HEIFES' have been amended to 'HESES'.
- In Annex E paragraph 16, the digits '0.6' have been corrected to '0.5'.
- In Appendix 2 paragraph 49, the word 'HEFCE-fundable' has been removed from 'the number of HEFCE-fundable students'.
- Corrections have been made to the contents page and the index.