1. This document asks further education and sixth form colleges to complete the annual survey of students on recognised higher education courses.
2. The data will:
- give an early indication, for purposes including government planning, of the number of higher education students studying in the academic year 2015-16
- together with the Individualised Learner Record (ILR) supplied to the Skills Funding Agency, inform our allocation of teaching funds for the academic year 2016‑17.
3. This document provides the following.
- An introduction to the Higher Education in Further Education: Students Survey 2015‑16 (HEIFES15) and how we use it to inform our funding allocations.
- Guidance notes for completing the HEIFES15 survey (Section 1).
- Definitions used in the HEIFES15 survey (Section 2).
- Examples of the survey tables (Section 3). The actual tables for completion will be available to download from the HEFCE extranet in November 2015.
- A summary of changes since HEIFES14 (paragraph 26-50 of the main document).
4. Information on how HEIFES survey data is used to allocate funding can be found in ‘Guide to Funding 2015-16: How HEFCE allocates its funds’ (HEFCE 2015/04).
5. HEIFES15 should be completed by all further education and sixth form colleges receiving HEFCE recurrent funds for teaching. Returns must be uploaded to the HEFCE extranet by noon on Thursday 12 November 2015. Workbooks will be available to institutions in November 2015.
6. A provisional timetable for the HEIFES15 return and 2016-17 funding round is given in paragraph 23.
The guidance document is in three main sections.
Section 1 is instructions for completing the survey workbook, including screen shots of the tables. This section also describes data verification and data assurance processes.
Section 2 contains the funding rules and definitions that you need to refer to in order to complete the survey. These are in Annexes A to L. (Please note that annex lettering has changed from previous years.)
Section 3 contains sample HEIFES15 tables.
NB: The following changes have been made to correct errors since this document was originally published:
- In Section 1, Question 9 in the self-check questions has been amended.
- In Annex G Table 2, the code QH was erroneously listed among exceptions under C2 in Table 2. This erroneous exception has been removed.
- In Appendix 2 paragraphs 41 and 42, price group A was erroneously included in the lists of price groups.
- In Appendix 2 paragraph 42, '2015-15 FTE' has been corrected to '2014-15 FTE'.
- In Appendix 2 paragraph 48, ‘The proportion of Column 4 or 4a FTEs’ has been corrected to ‘The number of Column 4 or 4a FTEs’.
- in Appendix 2 paragraph 50, the word 'HEFCE-fundable' has been removed from 'the number of HEFCE-fundable students'.
- Corrections have been made to the contents page and the index.