1. This document presents the results of the analysis of responses to ‘Future approaches to quality assessment in England, Wales and Northern Ireland: Consultation’ (HEFCE 2015/11), held earlier this year. The consultation represented the second phase of the Quality Assessment Review initiated by the three higher education funding bodies in England, Wales and Northern Ireland as part of each funding body’s statutory duty for quality assessment in higher education.
2. This report provides the results of an analysis of the written responses to the consultation proposals. An overarching summary is provided in Part A; a full question-by-question analysis is provided in Part B. The report does not attempt to set out the policy implications of the pattern of responses, nor the decisions and next steps for the individual funding bodies in response to the analysis of results. These will follow at a later date.
Where to find out more
3. Full information about the Quality Assessment Review is available on the HEFCE website at www.hefce.ac.uk/reg/review/.
4. More information about the review as it is being taken forward in Wales is available at www.hefcw.ac.uk/policy_areas/learning_and_teaching/teaching_quality_assurance.aspx.
5. More information about the review in Northern Ireland is available at https://www.delni.gov.uk/articles/higher-education-quality-assurance.
6. This publication is for information.
7. Institutions and organisations in England are welcome to discuss the report with HEFCE. Publicly funded HE providers in England should contact their HEFCE regional consultant in the first instance (a list of contacts is available at www.hefce.ac.uk/contact/search/). Other stakeholders should contact the Quality Assessment Review team using the contact details at the beginning of this document.
8. Institutions and organisations in Wales are welcome to discuss the report with HEFCW. Please email Cliona.ONeill@hefcw.ac.uk.
9. Institutions and organisations in Northern Ireland are welcome to discuss the report with DELNI. Please email Claire.Thompson@delni.gov.uk.