1. This document asks higher education institutions (HEIs) to complete the annual survey of students on recognised higher education (HE) courses.
2. The data will:
- give an early indication, for purposes including government planning, of the number of HE students studying in the academic year 2016-17
- together with data supplied to the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA), inform our allocation of teaching funds for the academic year 2017-18.
3. This document provides the following:
- An introduction to the Higher Education Students Early Statistics Survey 2016-17 (HESES16) and how we use it to inform our funding allocations.
- Guidance notes for completing the HESES16 survey (Section 1).
- Definitions used in the HESES16 survey (Section 2).
- Examples of the survey tables (Section 3). The actual tables for completion will be available to download from the HEFCE extranet in October 2016.
- A summary of changes since HESES15 (paragraph 27-35 of the main document).
- Good practice guidance (shaded sections throughout the document).
- Guidance on related HESA student record data (boxed ‘HESA notes’ sections throughout the document).
4. Information on how HESES survey data is used to inform funding allocations can be found in ‘Guide to funding 2016-17: How HEFCE allocates its funds’ (HEFCE 2016/07).
5. HESES16 should be completed by all HEIs receiving HEFCE recurrent funds for teaching. Returns must be uploaded to the HEFCE extranet by noon on Monday 12 December 2016. Workbooks will be available to institutions in October 2016.
6. A provisional timetable for the HESES16 return and 2017-18 funding round is given in paragraph 24.
The guidance document is in three main sections.
Section 1 is instructions for completing the survey workbook, including screen shots of the tables. This section also describes data verification and data assurance processes.
Section 2 contains the funding rules and definitions that you need to refer to in order to complete the survey. These are in Annexes A to M.
Section 3 contains HESES16 sample tables.
NB: The following changes have been made to correct errors in Appendix 2 since this document was originally published:
- Paragraphs 46, 52, 61, 66 and 70 originally referred to percentages when they should have referred to percentage points. This has been corrected.
- References to ‘PG’ (postgraduate) in paragraphs 11, 12, 14, 15, 16, 17, 23, 56, 63, 67, 71, 81, 83, 86 have been corrected to ‘PGT’ (postgraduate taught).
- In paragraph 79, the second bullet has been changed to show the correct threshold at which highlighting is triggered.