1. This document asks further education and sixth form colleges to complete the annual survey of students on recognised higher education courses.
2. The data will:
- give an early indication, for purposes including government planning, of the number of higher education students studying in the academic year 2016-17
- together with the Individualised Learner Record (ILR) supplied to the Skills Funding Agency, inform our allocation of teaching funds for the academic year 2017-18.
3. This document provides the following:
- An introduction to the Higher Education in Further Education: Students Survey 2016-17 (HEIFES16) and how we use it to inform our funding allocations.
- Guidance notes for completing the HEIFES16 survey (Section 1).
- Definitions used in the HEIFES16 survey (Section 2).
- Examples of the survey tables (Section 3). The actual tables for completion will be available to download from the HEFCE extranet in October 2016.
- A summary of changes since HEIFES15 (paragraph 27-35 of the main document).
- Good practice guidance (shaded sections throughout the document).
- Guidance on related ILR data (boxed ‘ILR notes’ sections throughout the document).
4. Information on how HEIFES survey data is used to inform funding allocations can be found in ‘Guide to funding 2016-17: How HEFCE allocates its funds’ (HEFCE 2016/07).
5. HEIFES16 should be completed by all further education and sixth form colleges receiving HEFCE recurrent funds for teaching. Returns must be uploaded to the HEFCE extranet by noon on Monday 14 November 2016. Workbooks will be available to institutions in October 2016.
6. A provisional timetable for the HEIFES16 return and 2017-18 funding round is given in paragraph 24.
The guidance document is in three main sections.
Section 1 is instructions for completing the survey workbook, including screen shots of the tables. This section also describes data verification and data assurance processes.
Section 2 contains the funding rules and definitions that you need to refer to in order to complete the survey. These are in Annexes A to M.
Section 3 contains HEIFES16 sample tables.
NB: The following changes have been made to correct errors since this document was originally published:
- Paragraph 5 of Annex C originally referred in error to 'the HEIFES population for 2015-16'. This has been corrected to 'the HEIFES population for 2016-17'.
- In Appendix 2, paragraphs 48, 54, 63, 68 and 72 originally referred to percentages when they should have referred to percentage points. This has been corrected.