1. This document summarises our final allocations to institutions of recurrent funding for the academic year 2016-17 and outlines the reasons for changes since the provisional allocations in May 2016.
2. We first announced provisional allocations of grant for the year in ‘Recurrent grants for 2016-17’ (HEFCE 2016/09). This document shows, for each institution, the final allocations for 2016-17, and summarises the reasons for changes since the allocations announced in May 2016. Further changes for individual institutions may still arise following data audit and reconciliation. The funding announced for the 2016-17 academic year assumes that the indicative funding made available to us by Government for the 2017-18 financial year will be confirmed. As usual, any future changes to the available grant could affect the funding we are able to distribute to institutions in the 2016-17 academic year, and this may include revising allocations after they have already been announced. Accordingly, institutions should plan their budgets prudently.
3. The overall budget for the 2016-17 academic year remains £3,674 million, of which £3,098 million is allocated as recurrent grant. This publication shows the distribution of £3,058 million of recurrent grants to institutions. The balance of £40 million is attributable to the national collaborative outreach programme (£30 million) and supplementary knowledge exchange funding (£10 million).
4. The main reason for changes to institutions’ allocations since those announced in HEFCE 2016/09 is the distribution of £3 million that had been set aside in the teaching grant for some targeted allocations to allow for changes to underlying data. Other changes result from institutional mergers, transfers and data amendments, in some cases following data audit and reconciliation.
5. No action is required in response to this document.