1. This document sets out the proposals of the four UK higher education funding bodies for the second Research Excellence Framework (REF) for the assessment of research in UK higher education institutions. The proposals seek to build on the first REF conducted in 2014, and to incorporate the principles identified in Lord Stern’s Independent Review of the REF.
2. The four UK higher education funding bodies are consulting on detailed arrangements for research assessment in a second Research Excellence Framework. We propose an overall approach based on REF 2014, incorporating the principles of Lord Stern’s Independent Review, and subject to changes that may be made in responses to this consultation.
3. The full set of consultation questions is available at Annex A.
4. We invite responses from higher education institutions and other groups and organisations with an interest in the conduct, quality, funding or use of research. This includes businesses, government and public sector bodies, charities and other third sector organisations.
5. Responses to the consultation should be made using the online form provided below by noon on Friday 17 March 2017.
NB The version of this consultation originally published gave an erroneous date in paragraph 68 for the commencement of the open access policy. This has now been corrected.