1. This document asks higher education institutions in the UK to provide data on the intake of medical and dental students in the 2016-17 and 2017-18 academic years.
2. This is an annual, UK-wide survey. HEFCE is conducting it on behalf of the Department of Health (DH), Health Education England (HEE), the Scottish Funding Council, the Higher Education Funding Council for Wales and the Department for the Economy in Northern Ireland.
3. Data from this survey is used by HEFCE, DH and HEE as an early indicator of medical and dental intakes, to inform DH and HEE workforce planning. HEFCE will also be using the data to monitor the medical and dental intake targets and to inform funding allocations.
4. The census date for the 2017-18 intake data is 9 October 2017.
5. Higher education institutions with joint medical schools (see Annex A) are expected to submit a single joint return. We also expect a joint return to be made by the Universities of Leeds and Bradford.
6. As part of the Government’s commitment to transparency, HEFCE intends to publish data on confirmed 2016-17 intakes on our website. See www.hefce.ac.uk/lt/Healthcare/mds/ for the equivalent 2012-13, 2013-14, 2014-15 and 2015-16 data.
7. Completed workbooks must be returned via the HEFCE secure data collection site no later than noon on Monday 16 October 2017.