About this guide
1. The Government has introduced the Teaching Excellence and Student Outcomes Framework (TEF) to recognise and reward excellent teaching in UK higher education providers.
2. In October 2017, the Department for Education published the ‘Teaching Excellence and Student Outcomes Framework specification’ (hereafter referred to as the ‘TEF specification’). It sets out the assessment framework and specifies the criteria, evidence and process for assessments that will be carried out during TEF Year Three (the academic year 2017-18) and in future years, until a new specification is published.
3. The Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE) and, from April 2018 onwards, the Office for Students is responsible for implementing the TEF according to the Department for Education’s TEF specification. As explained in the TEF specification (paragraphs 1.6 to 1.7), all references to HEFCE in this document should be read as ‘HEFCE or, from April 2018 onwards, the Office for Students’.
4. This document supplements and should be read alongside the TEF specification; it provides guidance on the timescales and operational procedures for those participating in TEF Year Three, in two parts:
- Part 1: Procedural guidance for providers
- Part 2: Procedural guidance for panellists and assessors.
5. Additional technical and supporting documentation about TEF Year Three is available at www.hefce.ac.uk/lt/tef/tefprocess/tef3/.
6. Providers and panellists participating in the TEF Subject Pilots will be provided with separate procedural guidance that is specific to the Subject Pilots.