You need cookies enabled

HEFCE closed at the end of March 2018. The information on this website is historical and is no longer maintained.

Many of HEFCE's functions will be continued by the Office for Students, the new regulator of higher education in England, and Research England, the new council within UK Research and Innovation.

The HEFCE domain - - will continue to function until September 2018. At this point we will close the site entirely and all its information will only be available from the National Web Archive.


You need cookies enabled

Notification of change of circumstance or change of control

How to notify HEFCE of a change of circumstance

How to notify HEFCE of a change of control or ownership

Some changes require immediate reporting and other, lower risk, changes can be notified as part of your annual return to HEFCE.

See Annex D of the Government guidance for full details of when each type of change must be reported.

Who should report changes to HEFCE?

Any provider that has designation for undergraduate student support, disabled students' allowance or postgraduate masters loans for new students. 

Teach out providers are also required to report changes of circumstance using the change of circumstance for teach out providers form.

What is required to be reported?

It is a condition of designation that you notify HEFCE of changes of circumstance. 

See Annex D of the Government guidance for a full list of changes of circumstance.

Change of circumstance notification process


How do you notify HEFCE of a change of circumstance?

Changes which must be reported as soon as they occur

In-year changes should be notified to HEFCE using the change of circumstance notification form below. Some changes will require additional evidence or commentary to be provided, for example a new location will require evidence of validating body approval. The notification form tells you exactly what to do for each type of change.

Changes which must be reported within your annual return

Your annual return form will contain a section for you to notify us of any changes that have taken place over the year.

How do you submit your in-year change of circumstance notification?

Download a change of circumstance notification form:

Please submit your completed form by email to

What is a change of control or ownership?

Designation is granted to an organisation based on the criteria set out by DfE. A change of control or ownership can change the ability of an organisation to continue to meet those criteria. This means that if a change of control or ownership of a designated provider takes place designation does not automatically continue.

The Government guidance (page 68) provides some examples of what may constitute a change of control.

If you are in any doubt you should contact the Gateways team on 0117 931 7317 (select option 2) or email

How do you report a change of control or ownership?

DfE recognises that a change of control or ownership process will vary depending on the nature of the change. DfE has therefore outlined a flexible process, depending on your particular circumstances.

If you wish to report a change of control, please read the Government guidance (pages 68-69) and email the Gateways team on with details of the change.

Change of control notification process



If you have any queries about your application, please contact a member of the Gateways team on 0117 931 7317 (select option 2).

If you have a general query, please email

If you have a query about the financial sustainability, management and governance aspect, please email

Page last updated 26 July 2017

Course designation queries