You need cookies enabled

HEFCE closed at the end of March 2018. The information on this website is historical and is no longer maintained.

Many of HEFCE's functions will be continued by the Office for Students, the new regulator of higher education in England, and Research England, the new council within UK Research and Innovation.

The HEFCE domain - - will continue to function until September 2018. At this point we will close the site entirely and all its information will only be available from the National Web Archive.


You need cookies enabled

Types of complaint

There are different types of complaint, and different ways to address them:

Complaints relating to an individual student's experience at a provider

Find out who can help to resolve a complaint. HEFCE cannot help resolve complaints that relate only to an individual student's experience.

Raising issues about academic standards or the academic experience that affect a group of students

HEFCE may be able to investigate an issue through the Unsatisfactory Quality Scheme (UQS). Find out more about the UQS.

Whistleblowing about wrong doing at an institution

HEFCE may be able to investigate through the Public Interest Disclosure (PID) process. Find out more about PID and HEFCE's remit as a regulator.


If you are unsure where to take a complaint, contact the UQS help desk on 0117 931 7381 or email

Page last updated 8 September 2017