Raise an issue about quality
Types of complaint
There are different types of complaint, and different ways to address them. See our guidance:
- How to raise complaints as an individual
- How to raise collective concerns about standards and quality
- How to raise an issue about wrong-doing at a university or college
When should I contact HEFCE?
We can help students where they have certain types of issue with the quality and standards at their university or college.
We can also investigate certain cases of wrong-doing at the institutions we fund.
We can only investigate issues about quality where:
- the issue is about standards or the student academic experience
- it affects a group or groups of students
- it concerns a provider which HEFCE funds
- you are a student, member of staff or work directly with the provider.
Students must complete the provider’s own complaints or appeals process before we can investigate.
If you are unsure where to take a complaint, we will do our best to advise. Our help desk number is: 0117 931 7438.
The students’ union may also be able to help with a complaint.
If students don’t know how to contact their union, the National Union of Students will be able to help and also offer some general advice:
- tel 0207 380 6600
- email email@example.com.