The key purposes of the REF are:
- to inform the selective allocation of funding for research
- to provide accountability for public investment in research and produce evidence of the benefits of this investment
- to provide benchmarking information and establish reputational yardsticks, for use in the higher education sector and for public information.
The development of the next exercise is now well underway:
- A consultation on the implementation of the next REF was undertaken in early 2017. Initial decisions resulting from the consultation are due to be published in August 2017.
- An Interdisciplinary Research Advisory Panel (IDAP) has been appointed.
- An Equality and Diversity Advisory Panel (EDAP) has been appointed.
- The four main REF panel chairs have been appointed.
Main Panel A: Medicine, health and life sciences
Professor John Iredale, Pro Vice-Chancellor (Health), University of Bristol
Main Panel B: Physical sciences, engineering and mathematics
Professor David Price, Vice-Provost (Research), University College London
Main Panel C: Social sciences
Professor Jane Millar OBE, Professor of Social Policy, University of Bath
Main Panel D: Arts and humanities
Professor Dinah Birch CBE, Pro Vice-Chancellor for Research and Impact, University of Liverpool
Download further information on the four REF main panel chairs: