You need cookies enabled

HEFCE closed at the end of March 2018. The information on this website is historical and is no longer maintained.

Many of HEFCE's functions will be continued by the Office for Students, the new regulator of higher education in England, and Research England, the new council within UK Research and Innovation.

The HEFCE domain - - will continue to function until September 2018. At this point we will close the site entirely and all its information will only be available from the National Web Archive.


You need cookies enabled

Frequently asked questions for students

This page provides answers to frequently asked questions for National Scholarship Programme (NSP) recipients who entered higher education (HE)in 2012-13, 2013-14 and 2014-15.

Queries about awards

I have received my award in the form of a discount on my tuition fees, but it would be more helpful to have it in cash. What can I do?

Universities and colleges decide the make-up of their awards, so it is best to speak to them directly about how your NSP award is delivered. 

The national rules state that awards can comprise one or a combination of the following: fee waivers or discounts, discounts on accommodation or other services (which universities and colleges provide) and cash bursaries. For 2012-13 and 2013-14 entrants, the maximum amount you can receive as a cash bursary is £1,000 across the lifetime of the full award. For 2014-15 entrants, there is no limit on the amount of the award that can be paid as a cash bursary.

I am not sure when I am going to receive my NSP payment, how can I find this out?

Each university and college administers their NSP in different ways and will have unique payment dates. To find out when you will receive your NSP award, or different instalments of your award, you should contact your university or college directly. HEFCE do not make payments to individual students and will therefore not be able to advise on this query.

I need to obtain a copy of my NSP confirmation or award letter, how do I request this?

To request an NSP confirmation letter you should contact your university or college directly. HEFCE do not make awards to individual students and will therefore not be able to provide award confirmations.

I think that I should have received an award, but I haven’t. What should I do?

The NSP scheme is now closed and universities and colleges will no longer be able to award the NSP to students who believe they should have received an award in previous years. All appeals should have been lodged and concluded before the 31 July 2015 when the scheme closed.

What would happen if I decided to leave my university or college? Would I have to pay any of my award back?

No, your university or college should not ask you to pay any of your award back, if you decide to leave before the end of your course.

If your university or college has staged the payments of your award, you will not be eligible to receive payments due after the date that you leave.

What will happen if my university or college is paying part of my award in later years of my course, in 2015-16 or later? Will I still receive this, now that the programme has ended?

Yes. If your university or college made a commitment to pay part of your award in later years of your course, and you started your course in 2012-13, 2013-14 or 2014-15, then you will still receive the award in the later years of your course, even if this is in 2015-16 or later.

How to contact us

If you are an NSP recipient and have a query about your individual NSP award, please contact your university or college directly.

To contact HEFCE about general student support enquiries, please email or call 0117 0117 931 7317. Please note however, that HEFCE does not provide financial support to individual students.  


Page last updated 16 May 2017