How we use your information
1. This privacy notice tells you what to expect when the Higher Education Funding Council for England collects information from users through this web-site.
2. We will collect, store and process all information submitted by HEIs in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998.
3. A cookie is a piece of data stored in the memory of your computer when you connect to this web-site. In order to use this web-site two "cookies" will be installed on your computer. Both are meaningless, randomly generated, pieces of text used to identify you when using site. Both are destroyed when you log off the site.
4. Most browsers automatically accept cookies by default but please note that if you choose not to accept cookies then you will not be able to access this site.
5. To find out more about cookies, including how to control and delete them, visit www.aboutcookies.org.
Web log files
6. When someone visits our web-site we collect standard internet log information. We do this to find out things such as the number of visitors to the various parts of the web-site. We collect this information in a way which does not identify anyone.
Access to personal information
7. Requests for personal information, that is information about a living individual, are dealt with under the Data Protection Act 1998. If you want to ask whether we hold any personal information about you, please note the following:
- You will need to supply proof of your identity. This should include both of the following:
- A photocopy of the identification pages of your current passport or of a current photo driving licence.
- The original of a current utilities (such as electricity) bill, or credit card or bank statement, which includes your name and current address. This can be returned to you if required.
- It would also help us to narrow our search if you could tell us which team or directorate you believe might hold personal data on you. If you are not sure, please tell us the context in which you have had dealings with us, and when.
- We will charge a fee of £10 for this service.
- We may withhold access to your information where we have the right to do so under the Data Protection Act. When that happens, we will tell you which exemption applies and, in most cases, why the information cannot be released.
8. We aim to reply promptly to your request, and are obliged by statute to provide a response within 40 working days. We will send you an invoice for the £10 fee. You will then have 3 months to pay the fee before we will continue to process your request.
You can make your request in writing to:DPA request
Changes to this privacy notice
9. We keep our privacy notice under regular review and we will place any updates on this web page. This privacy notice was last updated on 11 January 2011.
How to contact us
10. Requests for information about our privacy notice can be sent to:HEFCE
Phone: 0117 931 7296
11. The Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) is the UK's independent authority set up to uphold information rights in the public interest, promoting openness by public bodies and data privacy for individuals.
12. The ICO enforces and oversees the Data Protection Act, the Freedom of Information Act, the Environmental Information Regulations, and the Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations.
13. If you have any questions about this privacy notice we would encourage you to contact us first through the helpdesk, however if you would like to contact the ICO then please visit their web-site: www.ico.gov.uk for further details.